Our Mini Parade Float Contest last year was a great success! And this year, we’re taking things up a notch with some awesome additions.
As always, our priority is safety as this is a parade geared towards children, which is why the parade has never allowed vehicles except to play music for dancing participants. New this year, in order to inspire more creativity in the float contest, we are allowing small, ride-on lawnmowers (with horsepower around 24-28) to pull mini-floats. Participants will automatically be considered for the contest as long as they have something decorated that they are pushing or pulling that has wheels – strollers, hand-pulled wagons, shopping carts, and now small ride-on lawnmowers. We invite and encourage all creative ideas for designing your mini float!
Each group interested in participating must also have a sign or banner that can be held at the front of the group so the judges can easily see the organization/business/group being represented.
This year 4 trophies will be handed out:
• Best overall mini float
• Most thinking-outside-of-the-box mini float
• Best mini float created by a business
• People’s choice award (NEW this year!)
Black Dog Salvage’s Mike Whiteside and Robert Kulp will join the judges.
Winners will be announced at our parade after-party!
Also new this year, a parade after-party will be held in the amphitheater next to Heights Church at the corner of Grandin and Memorial. After the parade, the floats will line up in the first block of Grandin (the street will still be closed to vehicular traffic.) Attendees will have an opportunity to vote for their favorite float until 1:15pm. Marching bands and other arts organizations will provide entertainment during the after-party and Santa will be greeting the children as soon as the parade is done. The trophies will be awarded at 1:30 pm in the amphitheater.
So make plans to stick around the village after the parade to vote for your favorite float and kick off the holiday season! Stay tuned to the Grandin Village Facebook page for more details as we get closer to the event. Please feel free to message us on Facebook with any questions.
We look forward to seeing all mini floats - the more creative, the better!
Please register your group for the parade by filling out the form below.
Participants: read the rules and regulations below. By filling out the form and registering you are agreeing to follow these rules and requirements.
REGISTRATION ENDS AT 5 PM, NOV 20.
Grandin Village Holiday Children's Parade Rules & Regulations
- At their discretion, Officials of the Grandin Village Business Association and the Raleigh Court Neighborhood Association have the right to refuse any group from participating in the Grandin Village Holiday Children’s Parade.
- No motorized vehicles allowed except for a ride-on lawnmower in the 20-30 horsepower range. If a vehicle is needed to provide music for a dance troupe please check the box in the form below.
- Important: There will be ONE Santa at the end of the parade on the fire truck. NO OTHER SANTA IS ALLOWED IN THE PARADE.
- Candy must be carefully tossed underhanded to the curb and not directly at the attendees.
- Stopping the forward movement of the parade will not be allowed and can cause ejection from the parade.
- WAIVER: In consideration of being permitted to participate in the Grandin Village Holiday Children’s Parade, for myself, my heirs, executors, administrators and assignees and those of my group/association, I and my group/association do hereby release and forever discharge the Grandin Village Business Association and the Raleigh Court Neighborhood Association and their respective officers, employees, agents, subsidiaries, volunteers and affiliates, and all those persons involved in organizing and staffing this event from all claims, demands, losses damages, actions, causes of actions or suits of whatsoever kind or nature, arising from my or my group’s participation in the parade.
I grant to the Grandin Village Business Association and Raleigh Court Neighborhood Association (Photographer) and their legal representatives and assigns, the irrevocable and unrestricted right to use and publish photographs, of me and/or my group, or in which I may be included, for editorial, trade, advertising, and any other purpose and in any manner and medium, and to alter and composite the same without restriction and without my inspection or approval. I hereby release the Grandin Village Business Association and the Greater Raleigh Court Civic League and their legal representatives and assigns from all claims and liability relating to said photographs.
- In order to participate in the float contest you must have a sign on the front of your float clearly showing the name of your organization